21st Annual "A Place Called Sacramento" Film Festival official CALL FOR SCRIPTS!
Read below for the 2020 Timeline for "A Place Called Sacramento" Film Festival Workshop Events and Deadlines
For more information call us at (916) 456-8600 x0 To learn more about the films click the link above or to go to this last years' script winners.
2020 Timeline for "A Place Called Sacramento" Film Festival Workshop Events & Deadlines
- Announce 2020 Call for Scripts - Wednesday, January 25, 2020
- Workshop – “Short Form Script Writing Class"
- Two, 4-hour classes on writing “short form” film scripts. Polish you’re ‘A Place Called Sacramento’ entry or further your film writing skills.
- Starts – Two Saturdays – February 15 & February 22 from 10am-2:00pm – limited enrollment - $50 Fee – at Coloma Community Center. Register in Access Sacramento Office.
PCS Script Submission Deadline - · Tuesday March 17, 2020 (5PM) Must be turned into the Access Sacramento Office or submitted online with a a confirmation by 5:00 PM
Workshop “Short Film Production Tips” - Recommended: Access Sacramento Member Cam/Editing Certification
- Film and Television production is a “team sport.” Efficient planning, selecting the right cast and crew, knowing how to pull many schedules together, framing a camera shot, getting great sound and a thousand other questions must be addressed to complete even a short movie. Come learn how to be successful on a film crew.
- Starts Saturday, April 4 – April 25 from 11am – 3pm $50 Fee - limited enrollment for four, 4-hour classes
- 'A Place Called Sacramento' Film Festival Script Judging - March 20 - April 14, 2020
- Final Tag Lines DUE -Script Winners must submit final Tag lines and website info, FB, etc. by May 1, 2020
- Cast and Crew Call - Wednesday, May 6, 2020 from 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Join with hundreds of interested cast and crewmembers to meet the selected screenwriters and hear about their stories. You can help make a movie! Production teams are formed and interested actors are recorded onsite in an instant “audition tape.”
- Workshop “Short Film Production Planning” Saturday, May 9 (11 AM – 1 PM)
- The ten winning writers gather to receive further instructions, production tips, and share ideas. Participants include key members of each production team.
- Workshop “Camera Ready Make-Up basics” …. May 16 (10 AM – 2PM)
- Learn tips, tricks and make-up techniques that will have you looking (and feeling) good off- and on-camera.
- Workshop “Acting for the Camera” -- Saturday May 23 from 10 AM – 5:30 PM (Bring your own lunch)
- 10am – 1pm classroom training and tips then 2pm-5:30pm in the studio for on-camera training and tips with Access Sacramento’s studio cameras and instant review.
- Movie Graphic Due (First picture for promotion) -- June 8 by 5 PM
- This image will be used to promote the film on any promotional material such as print, web, brochures, etc. (Image dimensions must be 300dpi and at least 7x5- Portrait) file format as a .jpg or a .png.
- Workshop “Post-Production/Editing” instructions -- Saturday, June 27 from 10 AM - 1 PM
- As final editing approaches, winning writers and their editors get tips from festival experts on how to finalize formatting, credits, and other questions needed to meet technology requirements and final film submission deadline.
- Promotional Clip/Trailer –(1 minute) - Due Tuesday, August 4 by Noon at Access Sacramento Office
- This will be used to promote your film
- Deadline for Final PCS Film submission - Tuesday September 8 by Noon at Access Sacramento Office - Hard deadline
- Final Artwork Poster - Wednesday, September 9 by 5 PM
- 2020 PCS World Premiere - Saturday October 3, 2020 by 7:00 PM
- All completed films premiere on the Big Screen at the Crest Theatre in Sacramento. Invite your family, friends and strangers you want to impress…you never know who might be in the audience… a great show about… a place called Sacramento!
2020 “A Place Called Sacramento” Film Project & Premiere
For the 21st year, Access Sacramento launches “A Place Called Sacramento”, a scriptwriting and short film production project for local writers and producers. A Place Called Sacramento challenges local scriptwriters to write ten-minute scripts about the people, places, and events that make our community such a unique place to live (entry forms on-line at www.AccessSacramento.org). The deadline for script submission is 5 PM Tuesday March 17, 2020 in the Access Sacramento office.
To assist in the writing and production of the scripts, a series of workshops and script writing classes are held at the Coloma Center throughout February and March. This year 'A Place Called Sacramento' Film Festival preparation offers four Saturday workshops - “Short Form Script Writing”, “Short Film Production Tips”, “Acting for the Camera” and “Make Up Basics”
To enroll in any of the 'A Place Called Sacramento' Film Festival workshops with a credit card, call 916-456-8600 ext. 0. Limited Seating. Advance enrollment required.
- Workshop - "Short Form Script Writing:
Two, 4-hour classes on writing “short form” film scripts. Polish your 'A Place Called Sacramento' Film Festival entry or further your film writing skills. Starts – Two Saturdays – February 15 & February 22 from 10am-2:00pm – limited enrollment - $50 Fee – at Coloma Community Center. Register in Access Sacramento Office.
- Workshop “Short Film Production Tips” Recommended Access Sacramento member Cam/Editing Certification
Film and Television production is a “team sport”. Efficient planning, selecting the right cast and crew, knowing how to pull many schedules together, framing & camera shots, getting great sound and a thousand other questions must be addressed to complete even a short movie. Come learn how to be successful on a crew. Four, 4-hour classes. Session starts - Saturdays, April 4 - April 25, 2020 from 11am - 3:00pm $50 Fee - limited enrollment
- Workshop "Make-Up Basics" One Day Session – May 16, 2020 from 10am – 2:00pm
Learn tips, tricks and make-up techniques that will have you looking (and feeling) good off- and on-camera. Through demonstration and hands-on application, brush up on basic techniques to enhance and define your best features. This basic workshop will provide you with the confidence to experiment, and update your look. Bring your makeup and brushes to class. Limited enrollment - $50 Fee
- Workshop “Acting for the Camera” One Day Session – Saturday, May 23, 2020 from 10am – 5:30pm (Bring your own Lunch) 10am – 1pm classroom training and tips and then 2pm -5:30pm in the studio for on camera training and tips with Access Sacramento’s studio cameras and instant review. Limited enrollment - $50 Fee
The ‘A Place Called Sacramento’ production format is unique to Sacramento. All A Place Called Sacrmento script entries are reviewed by local professionals and 10 are selected for production. These 10 scriptwriter/producers are then revealed to actors and production teams at the A Place Called Sacramento “Cast and Crew Call” Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Production teams are formed and production commences during the summer months. Finally, friends gather at the 7:00 PM World Premiere to a packed house at the CREST Theatre on Saturday, October 3, 2020.
To view the films completed for the 2019 & previous 'A Place Called Sacramento' film festivals, go to the website
In the twenty years of 'A Place Called Sacramento' Film Festival, 197 short films have been created. Access Sacramento is a nonprofit, using community media tools and training, to improve local communications in Sacramento County. With our television studio, radio and television production equipment, media lab, mobile production truck, and other gear, we train volunteers and share their work on cable television channels 17 & 18, and cable radio plus KUBU 96.5 FM.
Access Sacramento 4623 T Street, Suite A Sacramento, CA. 95819
(916) 456-8600 #100